Saturday, March 26, 2011

Introducing Another Unemployed Librarian

First – a note on truth in advertising: currently, I am an ex-unemployed librarian having been hired in October 2010 to fill a “leave replacement” position at an elementary school in Western Washington. The idea for this blog, however, came to me while anxiously awaiting a determination on my application for an extension of unemployment benefits. At the time I’d been jobless for 13 months and sans domicile fixe – without fixed residence, ie. homeless (but everything sounds better in French, non?).

Despite my current employed status, the idea persists. Maybe because September 2011 looms like a shadow. Will I still be employed? The possibility exists to remain in this job, the librarian who went on leave did so several years ago, then retired, but the position has remained in this “non-continuing contract” limbo for bureaucratic reasons. The librarian I actually replaced had the job for three years and left only because a position with a permanent contract became available in the school district. She jumped at the chance (and who wouldn’t) to live a life free of the shadow of “next September?”

All of which explains the persistence of this idea for a blog about unemployment and librarianship – from personal experience I happen to know that there is really nothing necessarily permanent about a permanent position, nothing necessarily continuing about a continuing contract. I had both and they were taken away, my position eliminated, along with those of three colleagues. RIF’d. Cut. Axed.

R. I. P.

So, why the blog?

For an experienced librarian, the sudden loss of one’s livelihood is traumatic. For a new librarian, the bleak job market is demoralizing. For librarianship as a whole, the current economic situation is a grave threat, not only to individuals, but to the library itself and to librarianship.

My purpose then, in offering this blog to the library community, is to provide a place for the consideration of librarianship and the economy on micro- and macro- levels, from practical, philosophical and spiritual perspectives, and for personal and political activism.

With future postings, I hope to

– describe the experience of unemployment;
– share information;
– consider ideas for a more sane and humane economic system; and, finally,
– help save librarianship, along with the rest of the world.

The plan is to post once a week. Today is Saturday, March 26, 2011.
Look for posting #2 next Saturday: Not Lost – Stolen!

8 comments:

  1. Thank you Elaine for sharing this. I know many others who are in the same boat. And you're so correct, nothing is permanent these days. I'll share your blog on Facebook as I have plenty of friends there that can relate too.

    I look forward to your next entry. LaJuan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Elaine.I am looking forward to your thoughts on all the subjects you mention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elaine,

    As a library student new to the field, I look forward to your thoughts and insights. The folks at library school keep talking about how all these jobs are going to open up soon with people retiring, but I get the sense they've been saying that for years. Thank you for addressing this topic honestly and thoughtfully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain. I recently moved to MPLS with no job, but two interviews. One turned into an internship with a corporate library, that has *luckily,* turned into part time permanent. I also have another part time job at the public library, and work online from home. 3 part time jobs: 1 library science degree. And I'm lucky to have any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was at an event recently where we were supposed to be discussing the future of librarianship, and pretty much all we could talk about was the horrible job market. i.e. This blog's theme is dead on.

    I hope you stay employed, for your students sake, as much as your own.

    xojenna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lost my last full time job over eight years ago, as an academic librarian. In the mean time I've cobbled together various consulting jobs, ranging from institutions (the Clorox Corporation) to private parties (Country Joe McDonald). I've also used the time to write three books. It's a mixed experience - I hate the hustling, the billing, the worry, the lack of paid vacation. But I do enjoy having time during the day! My advice - be entrepreneurial, not something usually taught in library school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for setting this up, Elaine. As you're aware, the overpromising of library employment to grad students has been common practice of library educators for decades, and you're providing a forum that may be of some actual use. At least I hope that it won't be just another place to lodge complaints, but maybe to share ideas and resources.
    My story is similar to others: last employed full time several years ago (as a substitute) and now piecing together several part time gigs at community colleges. My experience supports the advice recently given: develop your skills and prepare to market yourself, and I'd add that supporting others (e.g. providing references) is a great way to network--you never know how others will be able to help you in the future.
    Best of luck, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know what everybody's fussing about. The Baby Boomer librarians are retiring and there are plenty of positions just starting to open up! Call me for details: http://wikis.ala.org/recruit/index.php/ALA_Initiatives

    ReplyDelete